Feb 17, 2010

Unobstructed view Day 57

The scaffolding in Hagia Sophia / Aya Sofya has finally been moved aside, allowing for unobstructed view of the interior front of the building. For me, this place is amazing. Not only I always find something interesting there but the light changes constantly therefore I'm compelled to come back and photograph the changes, the light, the details... of this overwhelming architectural masterpiece. The scaffolding gone, I only wish I had lens wider than 17mm to take it all in. Well I'll be back ;-)


This way I finally recognize the church aspect of the building...
fells like being in during a crowded mass, with all the tourist gathered in front of the mihrab niche (marking the direction of Mecca) in the area of long gone altar

 

The dome floats as if suspended 54m from the floor. My 17mm were not enought for it all but this gives a general impression


Detail of the golden mosaic above the altar:


Colours of the history


I do have another million images ;-P but to avoid boredom this has to be enough for today :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment