Jan 12, 2010

The purpose of balconies ;-D Day 24

I like Arnavutkoy, the wooden waterfront mansions (yalis) are just gorgeous as are some villas further in and up the village (funny how districts in Istanbul are mainly called villages, especially along the Bosporus... koy [umlaut on u but, again apologies, not on my keyboard] actually translates as village). These yalis are just so pretty, with details, decorations, carvings, arabesques, one even sports a turret...

I like how the shadows resemble lace.

I though it's funny how there are clothes being aired on 2 out of 3 balconies - unusual I tell you.

Perspective corrected in Photoshop.


4 comments:

  1. Very cute! (Arnavutköy is so beautiful)
    Thank the people for their curtains and their clothes hanging outside!
    Umlaut: alt + u = ¨, then o = ö, :-), X

    ReplyDelete
  2. ü
    aaa, double u while holding alt... thank you!!
    Any idea how to get to i without dot???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure, copy and paste from the net:-)
    Or: Edit - Special Characters - European Scripts - Latin - search in the small letters, under the capitals, it's between the ḫ and the ḯ: Sarıyer, close enough, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarıyer - what would I do without you???!!!!! X

    ReplyDelete